You may have some misconception about the Electrical Earthing and Neutral System. In this post we will try to provide you a better idea about it with some common question that frequently asks.
We are going to discuss about what is earthing, why we need earthing and neutral, what is the different between earthing and neutral and many more.
What is Earthing:
According to the “An Electrical Engineer”, the method of all electrical connection to the general mass of the earth is normally called earthing or grounding system. So there is a big relation with your earthing system and earth. If the relation is well established then you are safe.
Why We Use Earthing:
By definition we already know that earthing and grounding is kind of same thing. If there is any leakage current in circuit system then it will pass through earth by connecting cable between earth pint and circuit.
What Should Be The Earth Resistance:
- For resident house earth resistance should not more than 5 ohm.
- For substation resistance should not more than 1 ohm.
Why We Need Earthing:
- If there is any glitch in circuit system or any leakage current is present then earthing will provide an easy path to the leakage current to be grounded to earth. By this way earthing keep safe all circuit system from leakage current.
- Voltage remains constant at any point in system according with earth. If there is any glitch in system then all electrical equipment’s voltage level will not cross the safety limit.
What is Earth Switch:
Generally Earth Switch is present in electrical substation. During substation maintenance earth switch is remain close with line when isolator is open. Earth Switch also ground the leakage current from power transformer. Earth switch another point is connected with the earth point.
Only current is exist in neutral system. Because without neutral, a circuit cannot be closed that’s means current will not flow through the circuit. Neutral provide a small flow path to current.
Why Neutral Line Does Not Shock:
Now come to a common question. If neutral line is carrying current then why it does not shocked. We all know that electrical shock depends on the voltage. In neutral line voltage remain zero and sometime it is remain connected with earthing system. For this reason there is no pressure in neutral line and we don’t get shocked by it.
Read: Electrical Isolator
What are The Different Between Earthing and Neutral:
- Earthing system is connected with earth. All leakage current passes through it to earth. But neutral line remain connect with the power station or back to the power transformer.
- Neutral line provided a small safe passage to current to flow without voltage to complete the circuit. But earthing system provides emergency safety if there is any short-circuit in line and it transfer electricity the ground.
Standard Cable Color for Earthing and Neutral:
By the international law a live or phase cable will be brown color, Neutral cable will be blue and Earthing cable color will be black or green.